Wednesday, August 10, 2011

On Shitheads

I've been thinking a lot about shitheads today. My cat was a total shithead last night. He really wanted to lay under the covers with me and kept tapping me with his claws until I woke up. He did this all night.

This morning I got on the trolley to go downtown for an appointment. The trolley was really crowded and there was nowhere to sit. There was barely anywhere to hang onto. I am nearly 9 months pregnant and look it, and no one offered their seat. This has happened before and has been irritating, but this time it made me really sad. My balance is all out of whack and my stomach grazed the back of everyone who tried to pass me. These are my neighbors for crying out loud! I guess some of them are shitheads.

I've been mildly obsessed with the Iran-Contra affair lately. I watched a documentary about the late political strategist Lee Atwater (the most fascinating shithead ever), which led to a documentary about Oliver North (I had a bookmark with him on it in Jr. High) and voila! I have a new, useless distraction! Anyway, both movies showed grown people in positions of great power being total shitheads. And today's headlines seem to be only about shitheads and the shitty things they keep shitting on.


I mostly am just talking about this to hear my head rattle and I really have no point or lesson-learned; but if I did, it would be that I realize that I can be a total shithead. I was talking to Micah last week and made a really mean judgement about someone that I hardly know. I do that all the time. I do millions of shitty things all of the time.

On my way back home, I got back on the trolley, and when I said hello to the driver, she smiled really big and said hello back. There were lots of seats and I read my magazine. When I got home I realized that it was a pretty nice day out. My neighbor and friend left 2 presents wrapped in glittery tissue for me and Micah at my door. My computer was sparkling clean--Micah must have cleaned it early this morning while I was still sleeping. My cat barfed on the floor while I was out, which probably means he was stressed out, which is probably why he was bugging me all night.

I still think Oliver North is a total shithead, but most everyone else is just trying to do their best to remember to not be a total jerk. Some are just doing a better job than others. I should be trying harder, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment